Breast Reduction Procedure in Pittsburgh, PA
Breast reduction procedures serve as a prime example of how cosmetic surgery can augment both aesthetics and health. Oversized breasts can cause a number of issues, including, but not limited to:
- Breathing problems
- Skin irritation
- Back and neck pain
- Skeletal deformities
The cosmetic surgeons at Premier Plastic Surgery frequently help women with life-changing breast reduction procedures and breast reduction surgery.
On top of the physical limitations posed by overly large breasts, there are also social and emotional implications. Fortunately, the breast reduction surgery performed in Pittsburgh or Wexford, PA at our plastic surgery center remains highly effective and safe. This form of cosmetic surgery not only relieves the weight of women’s breasts, but it also lifts the weight of self-consciousness and physical pain.
After their recovery period, women that undergo this procedure report to our cosmetic surgeons a tremendous positive shift in their body image due to the change in the way they look and feel. At our plastic surgery center near Butler, PA we have dedicated ourselves to improving our patients’ health and wellness.
What is Involved in Breast Reduction Surgery?
When one of our plastic surgeons performs a breast reduction surgery near Cranberry Township, PA–a procedure also known as a reduction mammaplasty–they remove excess tissue from the breast area. Any excess skin or fat is discarded. Ultimately, the goal is to make the breasts proportional to the body. As tissue is discarded, the plastic surgeon will also realign the nipples and areola, adjusting their size as needed.
Who Benefits the Most From Breast Reduction Surgery?
Women may have a variety of different reasons for undergoing a breast reduction procedure. Some elect for the procedure to improve their self-image, while others choose surgery for medical purposes. Many patients tell our cosmetic surgeons that certain exercises, movements, or postures cause a great amount of discomfort. Others struggle with persistent rashes or irritation due to ill-fitting clothing or bras. Some even express difficulty sleeping because of the size of their breasts.
What Should I Ask Before Undergoing Breast Reduction Surgery?
Electing for any kind of surgery should involve a good amount of forethought. Before considering breast reduction surgery, you should ask yourself some questions:
- Do I suffer from any of the issues described above?
- Are my breasts fully developed?
- Does one of my breasts hang lower than the other?
- Do my nipples and areolas face downward?
- Am I experiencing shoulder, neck, or back pain?
- Will I have children in the future?
After surgery, pregnancy can have unpredictable effects on the size and shape of your breasts. If you are planning to breastfeed, please discuss this with your doctor.
Are there Different Kinds of Breast Reduction Procedures?
There are several different reduction mammaplasty techniques. Each approach accesses breast tissue and impacts recovery in different ways. During your consultation, your cosmetic surgeon will discuss all of your options and make a recommendation that suits you best.
- Inverted T or Anchor – This technique involves three incisions: one from the areola to the crease under the breast, one around the areola itself, and another along the crease. This approach works best for women that need a significant reduction or who are experiencing sagging, as it gives doctors more freedom to reshape and remove tissue. This procedure results in minimal scarring that can be easily concealed with a bra or bikini top.
- Vertical Incision – This technique works best for women that need only a moderate reduction. With two incisions: one around the areola and one from the areola to the crease under the breast, the doctor can easily perform the procedure. Just as with the Anchor technique, scarring from this surgery can be easily hidden.
- Scarless Reduction – This minimally-invasive technique reduces breast size solely through liposuction. Ideal for women who need slight to moderate breast reduction, it involves a single quarter-inch incision that results in barely detectable scars.
How Do I Prepare for this Procedure? What Do I Need to Know About Recovery?
Typically, breast reduction surgery consists of an outpatient procedure. Your doctor will cover everything you need to know as far as special recovery instructions to ensure positive results. Recovery time can vary. Women can expect some soreness and swelling, but don’t worry, as you will be prescribed pain medication to help maintain your comfort as you heal. Some patients request time off from work, but this can also vary from person to person. Most women feel ready to return to work after only a week. Our cosmetic surgeons recommend that you refrain from heavy exertion or exercise for up to three to four weeks to so that the incisions can heal properly.
What Can I Expect from My Consultation?
Even if you do not live close to our Pittsburgh or Wexford, PA locations, it is easy to secure a consultation with Premier Plastic Surgery. Dr. Brian Heil offers consultations through Aesthetic Link: a secure and private network that allows for the free exchange of photographs and videos online.
If you do live nearby, please consider coming into the office for an appointment. Dr. Heil is happy to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about the procedure. Be sure to come prepared with the goals and inquiries you have for breast reduction.
We provide breast reduction surgery near these areas of PA:
- Cranberry Township
What Are My Financing Options?
We have multiple payment options for our patients who are considering a breast reduction procedure. Payment plans and no-interest alternatives mean that all of your beauty and wellness dreams are within your reach, no matter the budget. We also offer financing from CareCredit, which may cover deductibles and copayments.
For any additional questions or concerns, schedule your consultation with us by calling 724-472-4268 today!