When Is the Right–and Wrong–Time to Get Liposuction?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, over 200,000 American men and women received liposuction in 2015. And with constant advancements in technology and surgical procedures, it’s not at all difficult to realize why so many people might be opting for the procedure. But how do you know when liposuction might be right for you, and is it possible that you may not be the best candidate? Here are some of the most common situations when liposuction can be very beneficial, as well as some situations when you may want to hold off and wait for the right time. (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
When Liposuction Is Right
- After weight loss. Liposuction is very commonly used in conjunction with weight loss goals. Once you’ve put in all that hard work of eating right and exercising regularly, by all means, treat yourself to those last finishing touches to your new look. Even after reaching their target weight, many people find that there are still small pockets of fat that just won’t go away. In this case, liposuction can be a great tool for fine-tuning a weight loss achievement, resulting in a lean, smooth look. After significant weight loss, many people also combine liposuction with a tummy tuck to get rid of any loose or excess skin as well. (American Board of Cosmetic Surgery)
- Post-pregnancy. Similarly, many women who have experienced a pregnancy seek the help of liposuction to get their bodies back to their pre-baby shape. Weight gained in the belly, hip, and thigh areas can be particularly troublesome to lose through diet and exercise alone, making liposuction a popular choice for many new moms. It can also be combined with other procedures like a tummy tuck and breast augmentation in what’s called a mommy makeover.
- When diet and exercise alone aren’t working. Even those who follow a healthy diet and exercise plan can sometimes find that there are still small pockets of stubborn fat that just doesn’t seem to budge, no matter how much they work out. The layer of subcutaneous fat that sits just beneath your skin is typically the culprit in this situation, and it can be easily removed through liposuction. (The American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery)
When Liposuction May Not Be the Answer
- Before you’ve reached your target weight. It’s important to note that while liposuction can be a great addition to the end of your weight loss plan, it shouldn’t be thought of as the entire weight loss plan itself. Liposuction isn’t meant to help you achieve your target weight, but rather, it’s used as a tool to give you those last finishing touches to your new look once you’ve already hit your target weight.
- If you still plan to have children. This can be more of a personal preference than a strict rule, but in general, many experts suggest that women wait to get liposuction or a tummy tuck until they’ve finished having children. While it’s certainly possible to get liposuction between pregnancies, know that a repeat procedure could be necessary following each one if you want to maintain the same results. (Dr. Edgar Fincher via Real Self)
- Before you’ve adopted a healthy lifestyle. Even once you’ve achieved your weight loss goals, it’s important to keep in mind that liposuction can fine-tune your look, but it can’t guarantee that the results will last. Adopting healthy diet and exercise habits as an ongoing pattern will help to ensure that your results will be long-lasting, and you’ll have a healthy and great-looking body for years to come. (WebMD)
Why Choose Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology for Your Liposuction?
While liposuction is a very common procedure, it’s crucial to choose the right plastic surgeon to ensure your safety and best results. At Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Heil is extremely knowledgeable, experienced, and committed to providing a safe, comfortable environment in our state-of-the-art facility. As a member of numerous professional organizations such as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, the Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgeons, Pittsburgh Society of Plastic Surgeons, and others, Dr. Heil is very well-respected in his field.
Dr. Heil would be happy to discuss the details of your liposuction procedure with you, as well as better assess your individual situation and help you decide if liposuction is right for you. To schedule a consultation, please contact Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology in Pittsburgh at 724-264-3608.
The Bottom Line
Men and women all across the country have found liposuction to be a beneficial tool when used alongside a healthy diet and exercise plan. After adopting a healthy lifestyle, liposuction may be a great option for anyone looking to achieve those last few finishing touches to their look, helping them feel just as amazing as they look. If you’ve recently celebrated meeting a weight loss goal, or are considering liposuction for other reasons, feel free to contact Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology at 724-264-3608 for more information about your options and our services.