The Real Reasons Why Rhinoplasty for Men Is So Popular
Rhinoplasty remains one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures for men, with more than 53,000 American men electing the procedure each year (American Society of Plastic Surgeons). As more and more men decide to take advantage of the many benefits of plastic surgeries like rhinoplasty, we are seeing a wide range of reasons why nose shaping continues to be so popular among men.
What Is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, or nose shaping, is a surgical procedure that requires the artful skill of an experienced plastic surgeon to enhance the size, shape, or symmetry of the nose in order to achieve an improved aesthetic look or function. There are two primary techniques used to perform rhinoplasty, known as “closed” and “open.”
- Closed technique. Using a closed technique, all incisions are made within the nose, and no visible scarring results.
- Open technique. Open rhinoplasty involves a small incision made in the tissue that separates the nostrils. This allows your plastic surgeon to easily access the tip of your nose in order to reshape and sculpt it as desired.
Careful communication with your plastic surgeon will help you decide which technique may be the most appropriate to best meet your needs and goals. During your consultation, your plastic surgeon will discuss all of your options with you, as well as guide you through each step of the process.
What Makes Rhinoplasty for Men So Popular?
Rhinoplasty for men has become popular in large part because it addresses a wide array of both cosmetic and medical concerns. Thus, there are many reasons why men now seek rhinoplasty procedures. These include:
- More social acceptance. As social norms continue to evolve, it has become increasingly common and acceptable for both men and women to invest in their appearance. Additionally, as social media becomes a staple in nearly every aspect of modern-day life, from professional networking to personal life, there is now a much greater focus on one’s physical appearance, for both men and women.
- Improved self-confidence. Because the nose is the most defining characteristic of the face, making small changes to its size, shape, or symmetry can have a profound effect on a man’s overall appearance. This can lead to improved self-esteem and a more positive self image, which can even translate to improved job performance.
- Achieve a more masculine profile. Many men are unhappy with the natural contours of their facial profile. A rhinoplasty can help to enhance facial contours, resulting in a more masculine nose shape and profile.
- Repair an old injury. Suffering an injury involving your nose can significantly alter its shape, which can, in turn, drastically change your general appearance. This can make many men feel self-conscious about or unhappy with their appearance. A skilled plastic surgeon can help to restore the original shape and function of your nose prior to your injury using nose shaping techniques.
- Correct breathing problems. For some men, the natural structure of their nose can lead to breathing or sleeping problems. A deviated septum may cause breathing problems, nasal congestion, or sinus infections (Mayo Clinic). Rhinoplasty can correct these medical concerns, providing relief from symptoms.
Taking the Next Step
If you’ve been thinking about having a rhinoplasty procedure performed to address any number of cosmetic or medical concerns you may have, the next step is to choose the right board-certified plastic surgeon with whom to work and schedule your initial consultation. Your plastic surgeon will be able to provide an in-depth assessment of your unique needs and will design a surgical plan based on those needs, coupled with your goals for your final results.
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Heil of Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology in Pittsburgh and Wexford has extensive knowledge and experience performing rhinoplasty procedures. You can view our before and after photo gallery to see real examples of results that Dr. Heil has been able to achieve.
For more information about your rhinoplasty options, or to schedule your consultation with Dr. Heil, please contact us at 724-264-3608.