How to Get Rid of Excess Fat: From Liposuction to Lasers, What is Best?
More than 200,000 men and women received liposuction in the United States just in 2015, making it one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures in the country. But many people often wonder if liposuction is the best way for them to get rid of excess fat, or if there is perhaps a more appropriate solution. To sort things out, here are a few of the most talked-about fat-eliminating procedures in plastic surgery: (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
Liposuction is a popular surgical procedure that removes small pockets of excess fat that may be resistant to diet and exercise alone.
- Who is the ideal candidate? The best candidate for liposuction will be at or near his or her target weight, but may have small pockets of stubborn fat that just don’t seem to go away, even with a regular exercise routine. The most common areas that many people target with liposuction are the belly, hip area, and thighs, as these parts of the body can tend to be exercise-resistant.
- What results can be expected? While liposuction can offer dramatic results in terms of fine-tuning the contours of your body, it isn’t a weight loss tool. Instead, it’s best used as a method of adding those last finishing touches to your look once you’ve met your weight loss goals. It’s also important to note that while the results of liposuction can be very effective and long-lasting, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help to ensure that you will love your results for years to come.
- When liposuction might not be the answer: Those who are still working on achieving their weight loss goals are encouraged to wait to get liposuction until their bodies are very close to their target weight to ensure the best results. (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
A tummy tuck is another very common surgical procedure, which removes excess fat and skin and can restore the tightness of abdominal muscles.
- Who is the ideal candidate? As with liposuction, the best candidates for a tummy tuck will have already reached their weight loss goals. Those who have lost a large amount of weight or women who have experienced pregnancies often turn to tummy tuck procedures to tighten loose and excess skin and muscles in the abdominal area.
- What results can be expected? After a tummy tuck, you’ll notice that your abdominal area looks and feels much tighter and more toned. Sometimes, depending on a person’s unique situation, a tummy tuck can be combined with liposuction to achieve maximum results.
- When a tummy tuck might not be the answer: Many women seek a tummy tuck procedure following childbirth, but experts often recommend that a woman wait until she is finished having children to get a tummy tuck. Otherwise, a second procedure may be necessary to restore the original results. And like liposuction, a tummy tuck can tone and contour the body, but it isn’t a substitute for weight loss. (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
Nonsurgical Options–Do They Work?
If you’re considering a plastic surgery procedure to remove excess fat, you may have come across a few nonsurgical treatments that claim to offer the same results as a surgical procedure. But do they really stand up to their claims?
- Zerona Laser: This low level laser treatment (LLLT) claims to remove unwanted fat by disrupting the fat cells, causing them to release their contents, which are then expelled from the body. However, the results from this procedure haven’t proven to be very effective or long-lasting. Some experts, though, do suggest that it may be a beneficial supplement to liposuction. (Dr. Richard Pand via RealSelf)
- CoolSculpting: This technique removes excess fat by freezing fat cells. This, in turn, destroys the cells, which are eventually naturally expelled from the body. Many experts find that CoolSculpting may be able to offer more effective results than fat-burning lasers can, but it may not be ideal for everyone. (Dr. Michael Law via RealSelf)
Why Choose Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology for Liposuction?
When considering a fat removal procedure for any reason, the first step is to choose the right plastic surgeon. At Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Heil would be happy to guide you through your options (both surgical and non-surgical) and help you decide which procedure might be best. His years of professional experience, combined with his sensitive approach to meeting the individual needs of each patient, makes Dr. Heil one of the top plastic surgeons in the Pittsburgh area. To schedule a consultation, please contact Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology at 724-264-3608.
The Bottom Line
More and more men and women in Pittsburgh and across the country are choosing procedures like liposuction to help them look their best and feel great about themselves. No matter the reason, liposuction can offer very effective, long-lasting results. If you’re considering the procedure, contact Dr. Heil of Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology to discuss your options in more detail. Working with a trusted board-certified plastic surgeon is your first step to achieving your new confident look.