How Nonsurgical Breast Augmentation Stacks Up to the Real Thing
Many women considering a breast augmentation may also wonder whether or not there are any nonsurgical alternatives that can offer similar results. While there is certainly no shortage of information out there concerning some possible alternatives, it’s important to separate the myths from the facts when it comes to breast augmentation. Deciding whether or not breast augmentation is right for you can be a big choice in any woman’s life, but arming yourself with as many facts as possible can help you to make an informed decision.
Myth vs. Fact: Nonsurgical Alternatives to Breast Augmentation
Despite the myriad claims out there that certain habits, pills, creams, or other nonsurgical alternatives can enhance your breasts, unfortunately, none of these methods have been proven to work. There’s currently no method of breast enhancement that has been shown to offer the same results as a surgical breast augmentation procedure, although you may have come across a few popular possibilities in your research. These include:
- Pills and creams: The main idea behind using certain pills or creams to naturally enhance your breasts is generally that these contain estrogen. While some herbal supplements that trigger your body’s estrogen production may temporarily firm the breasts, these results are comparable to the natural swelling that occurs during certain cyclical stages, rather than the noticeable results from a surgical procedure. Keep in mind that these supplements have not been approved for long-term use for breast enhancement, so their long-term side effects are fairly unknown. (Mayo Clinic)
- The BRAVA external breast augmentation system: The BRAVA system is a suction device that is designed to be worn all day long (12 hours per day) for several weeks to months. While this device has been shown to produce some mild results, there’s no evidence that these results will last for any given length of time. (Medical Daily)
- Fat injections: Fat injections for the purpose of enlarging the breasts are still undergoing research and clinical tests to determine whether or not they may pose health risks like an increased risk for breast cancer, impaired mammograms, and fat necrosis. Unless you elect to be involved in a closely monitored clinical trial for fat injections of the breasts, this method is not currently recommended. (Dr. Kent Hasen via RealSelf)
When to Consider a Breast Augmentation
Women consider getting breast augmentation surgery for many reasons, and while the procedure may not be right for everyone, it can offer dramatic results that just aren’t possible through any other method. You may be a good candidate for a breast augmentation:
- Following significant weight loss or pregnancy: Because the size and shape of the body can significantly change after weight loss or a pregnancy, many women opt for a breast augmentation to restore the appearance of their breasts. A breast augmentation is commonly included in many mommy makeover procedures, which helps women to regain their confidence about their bodies postpartum.
- If the size and/or shape of your breasts is a source of low self-confidence: Some women find that the size or shape of their breasts continues to be a source of low self-confidence or a negative body image. When this begins to interfere with other aspects of a person’s life, a breast augmentation surgery can help to improve one’s quality of life. Keep in mind, however, that this procedure isn’t meant to act as a “cure-all” for underlying psychological issues. Instead, it should enhance the natural shape and curves of the body, helping you to appreciate and enjoy the way you look.
- If you desire a more youthful look: Older women can benefit from a breast augmentation as well. In fact, many women in their 50s, 60s, and even 70s find that they finally have the time to focus on themselves. If you desire an updated look, a breast augmentation may be combined with a breast lift to maximize your results.
Why Choose Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology for Your Breast Augmentation?
Whatever your reason for considering a breast augmentation, the first step towards a new look is choosing the right plastic surgeon. At Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology, our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brian Heil specializes in breast augmentation procedures. His extensive experience, professional training and sensitive approach regarding each patient’s unique needs, make Dr. Heil one of the top plastic surgeons in the Pittsburgh area. If you would like more information about your breast augmentation options, or to schedule a consultation, please contact Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology at 724-264-3608.
The Bottom Line
Breast augmentations continue to be the most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in the country. Nearly 300,000 people chose to have a breast augmentation in 2015 alone. Part of its popularity may very well be that currently there simply isn’t a nonsurgical alternative that offers the same dramatic and long-lasting results. If you think that a breast augmentation may be right for you, contact Premier Plastic Surgery & Dermatology to schedule your consultation today. (American Society of Plastic Surgeons)